HOW IT ALL BEGAN
Jackie Lee is a country, country rock and early rock ‘n’ roll music entertainer based in Cobram in northern Victoria.
She is a popular entertainer who plays rhythm guitar and sings a wide range of country, country rock and early rock ‘n’ roll songs generally using backing tracks to fill out the sound. Jackie Lee is supported by her husband Doug on bass guitar. Jackie Lee also does some songs on ukulele if it suits the occasion.
Most of her songs are well known and are great dance numbers assuring the audiences of a good time.
Jackie Lee grew up in a musical family in England and has been singing on stage since she was 11 years old when she made her first performance with the ‘Wiltshire Wombats’. They won their first talent quest and never looked back.
Jackie Lee sang in a number of country music bands in London and southern England and also played in support bands for acts such as:
- Eric Burden and The Animals
- Tom Jones
- Eddie Arnold
- Hank Locklin
- Los Bravos
- The Troggs.
On occasions guitarist Albert Lee joined their country band in London. During this time she also recorded an LP in Germany with Decca records.
She moved to Australia in 1983 and continued her music career by forming or joining bands in Tasmania, Queensland and in Victoria.
Other Career Highlights
- 1993 – Singing for her supper at Tootsies Bar and the Wagon Burner in Nashville, USA, the traditional home of country music.
- 1993 – Returned to UK with her husband Doug for 12 months playing regularly on the pub circuit in West Sussex.
- 1996 & 1997 – on the road full time on the ‘Jackie Lee Outback Tour’ throughout NSW, Queensland, Northern Territory, South Australia and Western Australia. The Jackie Lee Bus became well known in outback towns and the highways in between.
- Performing with bands in UK, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Holland, Thailand and of course, Australia.
- Singing on stage with her family of full-time and part-time musos (mum, dad, five brothers, and daughter).
- Performing in Ireland & Spain in 2018
- RECORD – Switched On Forces (1981)
- CASSETTE TAPE – Reflections (1991)
- CASSETTE TAPE – Ballads to Bootscootin’ (1997)
- CD – Strange One (2010)